The last month and a half have been both wonderful and tiring. I have been shuttling all over the place on work, pleasure and family commitments, and finally I’m back in the city I call home. Sadly my blog has suffered in the meanwhile, but Date with Delhi was always just a thought away…
Particularly when I was on a longish stint at Mumbai, itself a majestic city by any account, I often stumbled upon the never-ending debate of Delhi vs. Mumbai. Everybody was discussing it.
* Broad tree-lined avenues vs. narrow traffic-clogged roads
* Women’s safety issues vs. freedom even at midnight
* Extreme harsh temperatures vs. maddening rains
* Swanky metro vs. the lifeline of Mumbai- its local trains
* Weekends at lovely hill stations vs. pristine beaches
* Tikki chaat vs. vada pao..
….. and the list goes on.
On the Date with Delhi facebook page one reader says: “Purani Dilli’s food and its monuments clinch it for me. However if I were a woman, I probably would have chosen Mumbai over Delhi.”
Another reader colorfully puts it as “for me Bombay was girlfriend and Delhi is wife. Both are loves, but then different kinds!”
As for me, a woman in in love with Delhi’s monuments and food, yet uncomfortable to venture out alone at night, I am simply unable to choose one over the other…
The jury is certainly out on this one. What are your views?